Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

It seems I am a few days early this week, but I might just have this be an extra one. My vocabulary is awful tonight so you have to forgive me. I worked last night. Didn't like the jobs I did but it was work. This afternoon when my husband woke me up, my temp agency had called, I've been laid off. I've never been laid off before. I don't know how to collect unemployment, I feel a tad rejected even though there is talk that the lay off is only temporary, I was liking what we were able to do financially with the extra paycheck. I didn't want that to go away. Logically, I know I hated my job, I am ill-suited for 3rd shift and the work I did required a set of fine motor skills that after 5 hours of being there (let alone 8) I swore I did not possess. My boys will love having me home again and I can get the house situated with spring right around the corner , the way I need to so we can enjoy the seasons that will open our doors and windows. 
Yes I am in complete and utter denial that winter is still here. I do my passive aggressive best to let it know it is no longer welcome, wear a sweater instead of a coat, wear my hair pinned up instead of covering my neck. It hasn't gotten the message, and I have started sniffling, stupid winter. 
Mordred
Tonights Mordred story comes with a point blank morale. Buy a refridgerator lock. Better yet, buy 5.
My 3 ft monster is a tough little brute and strong to boot. He has been able to open the fridge for at least 6 months and remove anything he can reach. (in those days he went for the juice, the gallon of it, often full, carrying it like a sack of potatoes to the nearest adults.) We bought a lock. it was fabulous. the door wasn't opened, the juice wasn't gotten, he learned to say "juice" instead of fetching it, everyone was happy. I have no idea how the damn thing broke, but it did. and suddenly my persistent little wretch (oh how I love him) was back in the fridge and now is newly-mobile minion (his little brother) applauded his genius and was just as enthusiastic to get in there. We replaced it. 
Balthazar
Yeeeeaaahhh, today it broke again. and my son carefully removed jars of jelly and ketchup and lemon juice and stood them up around the kitchen like some strange obstacle course, then he saw the magical container that would get him a cup to quench his thirst and show me his awesome project. In walked Mordred. "Juice" carrying the gallon. ( I had not realized the lock had broken again, I may have been told but I think I am working with about 60% of my brain function today) But where was Balthazar. Yeah, he was still in the fridge, going after something on the bottom shelf, I am so glad that egg cartons aren't left open. For his punishment, Mordred had to hand me each bottle he brought out to be put away. Honestly he wasn't alone very long, but the boy works fast as any parent knows. For his ingenuity, he got his juice. 
So I have to tell you that like 99.99% of the parents out there that are telling the truth, I have no idea what I am doing, yes I try to keep my kids happy healthy and clean (sometimes 2 out of 3 ain't bad on that one). but when it comes to getting them to do things my management style and parenting style take a page from General S. Patton. "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." 
So back to Seuss. So the title makes sense or at least has some foundation, or the topic does. Whatever. That's a vicious cycle of thought, what's the sound of one hand clapping.? Anyway! Today is his birthday. Mordred and I made purple lemon cupcakes while B napped and tomorrow I am going to top them with red and/or yellow pineapple frosting, coconut flakes and a cherry. Dr.Seuss is one of my favorite authors of all time, beyond that of childhood nostalgia and asking my older sister to read Fox In Socks again and again, faster and faster. I respect him as a writer. Did you know that he was originally a political cartoonist and Horton and he were well acquainted before he ever heard a Who? So if Horton heard a Who and the Grinch sole from Who-Ville, that is one teeny tiny Grinch, yes. I tip my hat to Chuck Jones and even Mike Myers and most recently PBS and Martin Short, for seeing his genius and trying to swell it. I do not think they were trying to diminish the pure magic of Theodore Geisel's genius I think instead they were trying to make it their own, show the world how they saw it, artistic interpretation, yep I try to see the positive possibility. Or they are blood-sucking bastards looking to make a quick buck on the shoulders of a giant. 
So that is it for tonight. Remember to believe, in something, it grounds you and gives you a foundation. 
~a

No comments:

Post a Comment